Theatres

A

B

C

D

F

G

H

I

J

K

L

M

N

O

P

Q

R

S

T

V

W

X

Y

Z

  France

Photo by Yortw:

www.flickr.com/photos/yortw/

The Palais Garnier (pronounced: [palɛ ɡaʁnje])(French About this sound  (help·info)) is a 1,979-seat opera house, which was built from 1861 to 1875 for the Paris Opera. It was originally called the Salle des Capucines because of its location on the Boulevard des Capucines in the 9th arrondissement of Paris, but soon became known as the Palais Garnier in recognition of its opulence and its architect, Charles Garnier. The theatre is also often referred to as the Opéra Garnier(French About this sound  (help·info)) , and historically was known as the Opéra de Paris or simply the Opéra, as it was the primary home of the Paris Opera and its associated Paris Opera Ballet until 1989, when the Opéra Bastille opened at the Place de la Bastille. The Paris Opera now mainly uses the Palais Garnier for ballet. The Palais Garnier is "probably the most famous opera house in the world, a symbol of Paris like Notre Dame Cathedral, the Louvre, or the Sacré Coeur Basilica.


Photo: https://www.flickr.com/photos/yortw/5109522385/in/photolist-8MvCZx-8MyFto-8MvBSP-8MvCr8

The Opéra de la Bastille or more commonly Opéra Bastille (Bastille Opera House) is a modern opera house in Paris, France. Inaugurated in 1989 as part of President François Mitterrand’s “Grands Travaux”, it became the main facility of the Paris National Opera, France's principal opera company, alongside the older Palais Garnier


Photo: "Opéra Bastille, Paris 2012" by besopha - Flickr: La scène à Paris. Licensed under CC BY 2.0 via Wikimedia Commons

  Finland

Aleksanterin teatteri (Finnish), Alexandersteatern (Swedish) is a Finnish theatre in the city of Helsinki at Bulevardi 23-27, also known as Russian Theater and Alexander Theatre. In the summer of 1875, the Governor-General of Russian Finland in 1866-1881, Count Nikolay Adlerberg, who was a frequent theatregoer, received Alexander II of Russia's permission to build a theatre for Russians living in Helsinki. The auditorium of the theatre was decorated by the Saint Petersburg architect Jeronim Osuhovsky, and the Finnish artist Severin Falkman decorated the ceiling paintings, which depict twelve cupids, reminding of the Mariinsky Theatre in Saint Petersburg. The theatre technology was designed by Iosif Vorontsov. The theatre was completed in October 1879, and in February 1880 it was named after Russian Tsar Alexander II.


Photo: "Alexander Theatre Helsinki 2011-09-03 1" by KFP - Own work. Licensed under CC BY-SA 3.0 via Wikimedia Commons - http://commons